Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

All I want for Christmas....

I actually got. A fairly rotten year led me to set my bar very low for Christmas and even then I was afraid I wouldn't get it. But I did.

Steve's been really sick, as I've said, and was in bed by 8:30 last night. This left me up, watching the end of "Be Forever Yamato" and some stuff on Hulu. That night, Steve was snoring so loudly it sounded as if he were yelling and there was one scary moment when he cut off in the middle of a snore and I had to wake him up. He's not prone to apnea, so that was unnerving.

This morning, I decided I wanted three things. I wanted to go to church and not feel compelled to walk out of it, I wanted to make a nice breakfast for me and Steve and I wanted to see scinnlaeca and eosin.

Well, Steve got up and I made us French toast with homemade bread. Nobody got burned, syrup didn't end up all over the floor, nothing.

I went to the 9:30 Mass. There was no diatribe about the "war on Christmas", the word "abortion" never came up at any point, nothing weird. I came out feeling like I'd been to church on Christmas.

Steve and I drove up to OC and while there was one moment of existential horror when we discovered that the 7-11 at Meade and 30th WAS CLOSED---

---I know, I know, the image is terrifying. Breathe into a paper bag for a second and I'll go on.

We got to OC okay, visited Steve's dad, then went to Denny's for Christmas lunch. After that we visited nicely with scinnlaeca and eosin. I'm going to have to copypasta scinnlaeca's recipe for mead cookies because they were wonderful. We all had a nice talk for a couple of hours before we headed on home.

And now we are home and Steve has a DVD of my traditional Christmas movie "Conan the Barbarian" playing. Gud Yul!


( 6 comments — Leave a comment )
Dec. 26th, 2008 04:38 am (UTC)
Yay! Didn't make it to Mass. We've both been sick as hell, and I wasn't going to drag myself out of bed before 8, when I was up all night ferrying theraflu, kleenex, and the like to the Frood, who's sicker than I am.
Dec. 26th, 2008 04:47 am (UTC)
My brother didn't come in until about midnight. When whe finally got home, it was about 2am and so a late Christmas was had by all of us, replete with naps. None of us has truly woken up today.
Dec. 26th, 2008 06:36 am (UTC)
That's scary about Steve's apparent apnea. I believe M. also suffers from it occasionally. Of course, his current respiratory problems probably aren't helping any. OTOH, can you try to make sure that he doesn't sleep on his back (if he does) because that's the most common position that leads to snoring.

I'm thrilled that you actually had a Christmassy-feeling Christmas Day Mass. Wow - what a concept!

Hugs and blessings,
that H. kid
Dec. 26th, 2008 06:53 am (UTC)
He doesn't have apnea. This was almost certainly just due to his chest cold. Don't know how to get him to sleep on his back.
Dec. 26th, 2008 05:13 pm (UTC)
I'm glad you had a good Christmas! Starbucks was actually open yesterday and I was able to get some coffee. Obviously San Diegan's can't be without their coffee because the place was packed, no more than usual though. Poor people who had to work there. I like the Conan comics, they are pretty fantastic.
Dec. 26th, 2008 08:14 pm (UTC)
It was good seeing you. I'm glad you liked the mead cookies! I will copypasta recipe here and you can re-post it if you want:


2 cups flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1/3 cup molasses
1/3 tsp. baking soda
2 T. ground ginger
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. allspice
3/4 cup mead
pinch of salt

1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Cream butter and sugar together until smooth.
3. Scrape down sides of bowl and mix in molasses.
4. Scrape down sides of bowl and mix in the mead. (should be moist).
5. Add and mix in all dry ingredients, mix until everything is incorporated.
6. Scoop onto a greased sheet pan, and bake for about 16 minutes. Cookies should be slightly firm to the touch when done. Serve warm.

Note: I substituted wildflower honey for molasses as there was a snafu with the molasses, but it still came out quite good. I also found I needed to bake a little longer than 16 minutes, YMMV depending on what kind of oven you're using.<

And now, today I recover from all of the Yuletide excitement. ;)
( 6 comments — Leave a comment )


San Diego
This is it, the Apocalypse
My Amazon Wish List

Latest Month

June 2016


Powered by LiveJournal.com